If you would like to become a vendor, please fill out the application and Testimony: Hold Harmless form. Weekly fee for all vendors is $35.
Below are the market rules and more vendor information
Lago Vista Farmers Market Rules
Friday, Hours: 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Located at the Lago Vista Village Shopping Center 20900 FM 1431 at the corner of Bronco Lane and Bar-K Ranch Road, next to the post office
Decisions relating to the Lago Vista Farmers Market are made by the Market Manager and the Lago Vista Farmers Market Advisory Board.
The primary goal of the Lago Vista Farmers Market is to educate area residents about the benefits of eating locally-grown, agricultural products. Our goal is also to provide opportunities for small farms and local artisans with a venue to sell and promote products where none existed before, thereby reaching a local audience who may not be aware of their presence in our diverse community.
As a vendor of this farmers market, vendors are expected to attend no less than 44 of 51 market days.
Items sold at any market must be made or grown by the vendor or producer and be located within 200 miles of the market.
1. Dumping: Selling at substantially lower than market averages.
2. Producer only farmers market: A market at which vendors, their family members or their employees are permitted to sell direct to consumer items which they have themselves produced.
3. Agricultural Producer: Meat (excepting fish, fowl and feral animals) and produce have been grown or animals born and bred from animals on the producers’ land (including leased land). Produce and dairy products such as cheese and yogurt or processed meat products, such as bacon, jerky and sausage produced with vendors’ products or at his/her commercial kitchen, butcher or processing plant are allowed.
4. Value Added-Local Food Artisan/Hot Food producer is defined as practicing the culinary art of producing the product offered for sale, which includes any operation that changes the form, flavor, blend and/or the substance of raw products using as many market products as available. Local farm or ranch Ingredients must be used if available and seasonal. Receipts must be shown as proof as requested by market manager.
5. Artisan Producer may use materials from outside the area of the farmers’ market when integrated with other local products or assembled by a local artisan.
6. Seasonal Producer is an agricultural producer that does not farm year-round.
7. Co-Packed Item is an item that is prepared, packaged and/or labeled by another entity with your recipe and/or products from your farm or ranch.
8. CSA is community supported agriculture. CSAs were created so a farmer could sell “shares” of their crops and the CSA customers could support that farmer through hard times and benefit through bountiful ones. The farmer has a better idea of how much to grow, he gets his money in advance and has customers for the season. Our market has agreed to be distribution point for CSAs. Items that are not the farmer’s products may be included when items come directly from market vendors.
General Market Rules:
1. All invitations to sell at any markets are at the discretion of the Market Manager and Advisory Board. Signing this document and/or submitting an application does not guarantee admittance into the market, nor does it guarantee an existing vendor continuing space.
2. All vendors are required to carry $1,000,000 in general liability insurance, and provide a copy of the certificate to the market manager as part of the application process. This policy will cover vendors in the event of an accident or food borne illness involving them at the Lago Vista Farmers Market.
3. All vendors must carry appropriate certifications from those entities regulating the sale of their particular products, such as certifications for selling meat, poultry, dairy, and processed foods. Cottage food sellers may not provide samples to customers at any time, and must adhere to state and local laws regarding the sale of allowed and disallowed products.
4. Each vendor is entitled to ten feet of frontage space and must use straight-legged canopies. All vendors are limited to 2 front facing spaces. Vendors must restrict merchandise and tables to within designated stall space unless otherwise authorized. All signage and banners must be kept within the booth. Anything outside of this range is subject to penalties from the city of Lago Vista. All canopies must be anchored using cinder blocks or similar weights on each leg to maintain stability.
5. We are a year round, rain or shine market. Vendors should be prepared for all types of weather including cover for rain or sun and weights for winds. No refunds or decrease in fees will be given because of inclement weather or lack of business due to the weather.
6. If Christmas and New Year Day falls on a market day, we will be closed. We will be closed the Friday after Thanksgiving Day
7. Vendors must be set up & ready to sell 30 minutes in advance of open. Vendors must leave promptly after close of market unless otherwise approved by the market manager. No selling before market start and no tear down before 6:00 p.m. No driving within market area after 30 minutes before start or 15 minutes after close of market. The market manager will assign booth locations
8. Any vendor not attending the market must notify the Market Manager via the link listed here no later than the Wednesday before market day. It is your responsibility to notify the Market Manager. We will not send weekly reminders or links for cancellations
A. Late notices (after Wednesday before the market day), 1 absence without notice or multiple absences with notice as well as disruptive behavior at any time may be grounds for removal from the market.
B. No money will be returned for weekly fees for the violations listed above. An invoice in the amount of the stall fee plus $10 penalty will be sent to any vendor who fails to show without notice or relays notice after midnight on Wednesday before the Market day.
7. If a farmer or rancher uses our market for CSA distribution, the boxes may only include product the vendor has grown or prepared and/or products made from what is grown or prepared by or for the farmer or rancher (pickles, preserves, jerky, cheese, etc.) All new prepared products to be delivered at our markets as part of a CSA must be pre-approved by the market manager and permitted or licensed by the County or the State as required. The only time this rule will have an exception is if there is a devastating crop failure followed by an arrangement which would be jointly agreed upon by the farmer/rancher and our advisory committee. If agreed, the products must come from market vendors.
8. Vendors must grow or produce the products sold and maintain high quality throughout the season. Off grade or seconds as well as storage produce must be labeled as such. The Market Manager may request removal of poor quality items. If storage produce is offered for sale, the farmer is required to post a sign describing the storage practices in detail.
9. A farmer or his workers at the market using synthetic chemicals or dusts on his/her crops who is not completely transparent with this information to shoppers will be asked to leave the market immediately with no return of any fee. If there is a protest submitted in writing to the market manager as to the chemical use, 2 organic farmers will be taken to inspect the farm and their opinion will be final.
10. We do not set prices. However no dumping will be allowed. At each market, prices may be reduced by up to 50% for the final 30 minutes to sell any excess produce and other perishables. Keep in mind this may be detrimental to you as a vendor in the future, as customers learn the timing of such reductions.
11. New vendors selling prepared food are encouraged to use organics and ingredients from market vendors whenever seasonably possible.
12. Prepared food vendors may sample at their booth by providing packaged samples from their commercial kitchen of their product without a sampling permit. Vendors must provide proof of proper licenses and insurance and will also be required before being allowed to sell at any market. Food manager’s certificates must be displayed in the booth to provide samples to customers.
13. New Food vendors entering the market are required to use only natural ingredients (preferably organic) with no artificial colorings, flavorings, or hydrogenated fats. Prospective vendors in this category shall provide samples during market hours to the market manager in advance of application.
14. Re-selling of any products or goods without permissions from the advisory board is strictly prohibited. Any violation of this rule will result in the immediate revocation of the vendor’s right to sell at the Lago Vista Farmers Market.
15. If a vendor dumps his unsold inventory at any market he/she will be warned once. A second violation may result in loss of market privileges.
16. Prepared Food vendors joining the market are required to use only natural ingredients (preferably organic) with no artificial colorings, flavorings, or hydrogenated fats. Market ingredients must be used when available. Prospective vendors in this category shall provide samples of products and packaging during market hours to the Market Manager in advance of application.
17. All vendors must have Market Manager’s approval of any new item not included on the application before selling any product not listed on application form.
18. Only vendors or an agent (family member, employee) may sell. The agent must be knowledgeable about the product, how it is used, grown or produced and be able to clearly communicate to customers. Person selling must have visited the farm, ranch or commercial kitchen. If the person manning the booth is found not to be attentive to customers, notice will be given to owner and that person should be replaced at the market. This inattentiveness could include unsanitary practices, texting, reading a book, etc. during market selling time.
19. All vendors and their agents must read these rules and then acknowledge via the Testimony and Hold Harmless Agreement before setting up at any market on the first day of the season or first day to sell. These agreements must be submitted annually.
20. Agricultural Vendors are subject to farm/ranch inspections to be conducted by the Market Manager and/or an agent appointed by the Market Manager with up to two other participating growers/producers if deemed necessary by the Market Manager. Refusal of inspection will result in termination of selling privileges.
21. A producer selling any meat at Lago Vista Farmers Market stating livestock is hormone and/or antibiotic free and/or grass fed must have raised the animals from the ranch herd from birth, (excepting poultry or wild, feral animals) or provide a certified letter from seller that animals have been hormone and antibiotic free and/or grass fed since birth and/or weaning. Further, it is preferable that the animals are born and raised completely on the producer’s property from ranch herd of mother animals. If the producer does not have the capability of raising animals in this manner, the producer must be fully transparent with shoppers and management of the market about where the livestock originated. Cooperative selling is acceptable if Market Manager inspects each farm or ranch, the association fee is paid by all separate entities and transparent signage is plainly visible at market. Mileage fee of $1.00 per mile will be paid to the Market Manager to make the extra farm/ranch inspections.
22. Producers may offer value added items made from producers’ own vegetables, meat, fruit, milk, etc. but must first notify market manager of intent to sell product at any market and acquire any State, local permits necessary.
23. Co-packed items (farmers and ranchers are exempt if the product is raised by them) will not be allowed for sale.
24. Wild fish (from the Texas Gulf coast or Texas lakes) and feral animals (harvested from within the 150 mile radius of the market) and feral animals slaughtered under all applicable regulations are acceptable. The Market requires photocopies of all relevant permits from city, county, state and federal permitting agencies. Vendors of these products must be in compliance with the regulations of the United States, the State of Texas, the City of Austin and Travis or Williamson County.
25. Nursery Vendors must sell only cut flowers, potted plants, trees or nursery starts that are grown from seed, plug, cutting, bulb or bare-root by the seller. No resale of plants is allowed.
26. Artisans will be subject to a jury of their product by the Advisory Board before being allowed to sell at any market. The Market Manager or the Admissions team members have the right to review any merchandise for sale at any market at any time. Inspection of artisan studios may be required. Photos of the work must be submitted with the application.
27. No vendor may sell logoed t-shirts, bags, caps, towels, aprons, etc. that are not made and printed in the USA.
28. No dumpsters are available for market use. Vendors must transport trash/recycling off-site. Vendors are responsible for helping clean up the market at the end of the day. All Vendors must provide trash receptacles at their booth. Ice and water brought to maintain product freshness may not be discarded on-site.
29. Booth locations are subject to change. Market expansion and shrinkage may result in change of vendor booth space as it relates to size, location and/or number of booths.
30. All vendors must comply with the laws and regulations of the State of Texas as well as city and county laws and regulations. Vendors may not claim Organic Status without proof thereof. For a City of Lago Vista Farmers Market and Temporay Food Vendor application permit application follow this link
Items prohibited for sale at the market:
1. No live animals may be sold or brokered at the market
2. No alcohol may be sold or sampled at the market per TABC and City of Lago Vista ordinances regarding the proximity to schools.
3. Tobacco products of all types are prohibited for sale or use.
4. The sale of firearms, ammunition, and fireworks is prohibited.
5. Any products prohibited by the Texas Cottage Food Law
Vendor Fees & Fines:
1. $35 is the weekly fee for all vendors. The market at it’s discretion will evaluate fees on a semi-annual basis. All vendors attending must commit to attending the markets 44 of 51 market days annually. The market requires one month notice for known absences and the space will be made available to a temporary vendor
2. $40 will be charged for any returned check.
3. $10 per week will be charged for late payment of annual or weekly fees.
4. $10 penalty fee for not being fully set up and ready to sell at 2:30 p.m., breaking down before 6:00 p.m., or leaving before 6:00 p.m. without market manager approval.
7. $10 penalty fee for parking violations. Any vendors unable to park in the designated locations. Vendors must not park in the prime customer parking area.
8. $10 will be charged for vendors using market trash/recycling receptacles.
9. CANOPY RULES & FEES: $30 will be charged for insufficient weights on vendor canopy legs and/or not taking down vendor canopy because of a dangerous situation when asked by the market manager.
The Market reserves the right to take down the open sided canopy at any time.
Do not put up your canopy without 29lb. weights on each leg (the weight of a double cinder block), or the back 2 legs tied down to the back of vendor vehicle.
This applies no matter what the weather. Bungees should be used to attach legs to neighboring canopies. All shade equipment including open sided canopies, umbrellas, and tarps are required to be securely weighted down. Every leg must be stable. The weights must not dangle or be balanced on the open sided canopy leg or loosely tied onto the open sided canopy leg. At least two people must set up/tear down canopies. PROBLEMS OF THIS TYPE CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO PEOPLE AND EQUIPMENT.
Standards and Conduct for Vendors and Market Staff:
1. Know the products you are selling at the market. You and your staff need to communicate clearly all aspects of your products.
2. Be courteous, professional and presentable at all times. Inappropriate language or behavior, dress, or abuse toward anyone at any market will not be tolerated and may be reason for expulsion.
3. Display products in a sanitary, presentable and attractive manner.
4. Refer comments or complaints to the market manager.
5. We ask that vendors use ethical pricing standards. Your products sell best when you are knowledgeable, courteous, and provide high quality merchandise. Any grievance regarding actions or prices of another vendor must be brought in writing to the Advisory board if it cannot be handled politely and quickly between vendors. Be knowledgeable of market standards of pricing within 30 miles of the market. Each vendor will set their own pricing.
6. Dumping will not be allowed. Dumping is the reduction of prices below fair market value. If this is deemed an issue by the market manager, vendors will be asked to adjust prices to local fair market values.
7. If prices seem unreasonably high in comparison to fair market values within 30 miles of the market, you will be asked to reduce prices accordingly
8. If any grievance is not settled directly, the advisory board and market manager will settle immediately before day’s market. All decisions made by the market manager relating to a complaint will be final.
9. The market manager has the right to issue warnings and/or suspension and/or fines to any vendor violating market rules. Noncompliance of the market rules may result in the loss of privilege of selling at the market.
10. Refer difficulty with customers or vendors directly to the market manager.
11. Intoxication will result in vendor expulsion from the market.
12. Vendors must maintain a clean stall space and to clear the area of debris during and after market. Lago Vista Farmers Market will provide trash and recycling receptacles in the common area aisles for use by customers only. These receptacles are not to be used for trash generated by vendors. Vendors must supply a trash receptacle for public use at the booth.
13. Lago Vista Farmers Market is a tobacco and alcohol free zone.
14. Vendors must not bring their pets/animals to the market with the exception of service animals.
15. All food vendors must comply with State, Lago Vista, and Travis County Health Department rules.
16. Any fines received by any Lago Vista Farmers Market vendor will be paid by vendor responsible for non-compliance. Failure to abide by sampling requirements may also result in the revocation of sampling privileges or expulsion from the Lago Vistas Farmers Market.
17. Lago Vista Farmers Market is not responsible for product liability, fines, penalties or the paying of sales taxes for individual vendors.
18. The city of Lago Vista charges 2% in sales tax for non-food items. Each vendor is responsible for paying all applicable state and local taxes and fees.
19. The Market Advisory Board may set limits of duplication of products for sale at the Lago Vista Farmers Market. There is no guarantee of exclusive category for any vendor.
All vendors must post or have in their possession when applicable:
· Signs clearly identifying family name and/or the name of their farm/business including the city, town or county where production occurs should be visible.
· Organic Certification when promoting the produce/product as organic. Vendors using the term “organic” must be in compliance with the National Standards.
· Sales Tax Permits. Food items do not require tax permits.
· Certificate of Registration for Weights and Measures where applicable. All vendors selling by weight must use an approved commercial scale certified legal for legal trade by the Texas Department of Agriculture. Complete this application (form RWM-700, linked below along with instructions), pay $16 and then TDA sends an inspector to your facility/farm/ranch to inspect and and certify your device. Turn around time would be around 2 weeks.
TDA Device Registration Certificate Application, RWM-700
TDA Device Registration Application INSTRUCTIONS
(if you weigh products at your commercial kitchen, that scale must also be certified)
The online form for the TDA Device Registration Certificate application:
This Agreement must be acknowledged by signing the hold harmless by all vendors and agents who will be representing any vendor at any market BEFORE the vendor will be allowed to set up or participate in any market activities.
Last Update: July 1, 2015-addition of application and instructions for TDA Weights & Measures
Here are links for Permits for the City of Lago Vista and the market. Each vendor type may require different and additional permits and certifications. Please contact us if you have questions. We are here to help you.